Monday, April 13, 2009

Yawn. In more ways than one.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves............

I know that as we age, we lose brain cells, and we don't get new ones either.
I seem to be in some odd hazy funk. And I get bored easily. My only recourse
to the boredom is to sleep. I think it must be spring.

We had a lovely easter dinner. (Made by Phil of course). It was nice having the kids and significant boy/girl friends along. After dinner, I caught up, Jessica wrote her paper on
"fighting words" and everyone else went to the park to play football. We all ended the evening
tired but contented.

The weather has been beautiful lately. Sunny skies (except today), and warmer temps. Temps in the 50's to Minnesotans means its time to put on the shorts, BBQ stuff, and suddenly erupt from homes across the state like those crazy mice in Australia. Sorry, it was on some show I saw and I don't remember what. Animal Planet? Animals gone wild? Sorry, no little bikinis.....as if people would be interested in that. But you never know.

My doctor told me that younger people are getting kidney stones at an alarming rate. He and others believe it has something to do with high fructose corn syrup. I didn't think I ever drank that, but it seems my lemonade (frozen concentrated) has huge amounts. Most fruit juices do unless they cost a lot. Cheap stuff that you can afford usually is worse for your health.

Well, time to get something on for dinner. But I would rather take a nap.

3 comments:

Sempringham said...

Sad to say, high fructose corn syrup is in a LOT of food. I was looking at apple sauce the other day, and there it was. Why do you need corn syrup in apple sauce? Luckily, if you look around enough, you can usually find something without it. (Mott's "Natural" in this case -- no "Original".

High fructose corn syrup is also blamed for the increasing level of Type 2 diabetes. Keep it as far away from you as you can.

Glad you had a nice Easter.

troutay said...

Thanks Semp. I will heed your wise words.

I hope you and Mrs Sempringham had a lovely Easter weekend also!

sjm said...

HFCS ... the result of growing so much corn.

And such a "subtle" way to get people addicted to, and keep them addicted to sugar.

Don't let the current ad campaign for HFCS syrup sway you ... stay as far away from it as you can.