Sunday, April 5, 2009

Breakfast

I was just listening to a blurb on NPR about Iceland. Seems people are going back to the old ways.
Everyone is eating oatmeal again, where before it was almost shunned.
In fact it is hard to keep it on the shelves as everyone is buying it. It is nutritional, hot, and stays with you awhile during the day.

We used to eat alot of oatmeal when I was young. It was cheap and could feed all eight of us kids.
I especially liked it with brown sugar, but my mother always made it with raisins too. ewwww
I hate cooked raisins. No raisin pies, no raisin cookies, no raisins in baked goods. Yet every
morning there would be my bowl, full of bloated cooked raisins. (They reminded me of those awful huge ticks that dogs get if you miss even one of the little buggers.)

I also loved Farina/Cream of wheat. With brown sugar of course. But my all time favorite was
cooked hot wild rice with cream and sugar. With a little dab of butter, there is nothing like it with it's nutty taste. Of course in those days, we went to the farm to get milk. And would let the cream rise to the top. mmmmmm. We also harvested the wild rice ourselves. At least my brothers did. I remember having to clean the unsavory bits out of the rice.

Now days, I am partial to cheerios, grape nuts and some of those kids cereals. I know. bad bad.
But at least I eat breakfast. And not to forget, the best of all of these is my husband's pancakes with real old time maple syrup. The stuff that is boiled over an open fire in a big kettle. You can taste the smoke and it is thick and very dark.

Poor people food at that time. Now it costs an arm and a leg to get the real stuff.

Anyway, it is nice to hear that others eat oatmeal like we do. I just hope they don't put raisins in it.

9 comments:

Pearl said...

I am totally on board with all of the hot cereals -- except for Maypo. I never did get the hang of Maypo.

Pearl

p.s. And oatmeal absolutely is best with brown sugar.

Kat Mortensen said...

I love oatmeal with apples and maple syrup drizzled over the top. I'm afraid troutay, I'm in the "raisin" camp - although your bloated tick image definitely will make me think next time.

Kat

Reamus said...

Bloated ticks...I remember them well...not a nice image, but then I was forced to eat other things for breakfast...never anything hot.

troutay said...

Pearl! you are so cute! I loved your blog!

Poetikat: Sorry, I hope I didn't ruin anything for you.

Reamus: My mother was a firm believer in hot breakfasts. Every morning she would make my father a full breakfast: toast, eggs, bacon, etc. because she felt you needed a full stomach to start the day. Which was smart actually, considering what we are told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Bob Miller said...

Cream of wheat? Bleah!

Funny you should mention oatmeal, as it's something that has recently been rediscovered in this household. Because of medications she's taking right now, it's one of the few things that doesn't upset Suellen's stomach. I can feel my cholesterol dropping!

Have you tried heating your Grape Nuts with milk in the microwave? It makes an entirely different cereal that way, and is much easier on the teeth.

Never liked raisins much myself. I'll spare you the description that comes to my mind.

troutay said...

The grape nuts thing is pretty good! I have tried that and it is a great breakfast.
It is also good sprinkled over yogurt
I think it is good that Suellen can find things that make illness easier. Not perfect, but easier.
And no, I don't want to hear YOUR
explaination of raisins. Mine is bad enough.

shutterhand said...

"bloated cooked raisins. (They reminded me of those awful huge ticks that dogs get if you miss even one of the little buggers.)"
What lovely imagery Troutay. Although a healthy wood tick is usually a nice gray color. I think I know where Bob was going with his raisin image. Very appropriate with the Easter Bunny just around the corner. Speaking of Easter dinner, I could never eat the sweet potatoes. Always made me think I was chewing ear wax. There. We're even. :) Have a great week.

Jeannelle said...

Mmm....oatmeal with brown sugar and chocolate chips....mmm!! Never raisins....no way!

troutay said...

Any way, enough of cooked raisins.
Ack!