Monday, October 20, 2008

Something Stinks

I have been watching the situation with Michelle Bachmann. I am appalled. I can not understand why someone would think that just because of opposing opinion, someone is anti-American. From what I hear, if you lean to the left, Michelle thinks you are anti-American.
I vote. I pay taxes and make my house payment on time. I have not committed any crimes (at least legal crimes), and I have only gotten one speeding ticket in my life.
I believe that people go into politics for two reasons: Power, and a genuine desire to help humanity. I suspect Bachmann of the first reason. An attempt to push forward her religious agenda.

I do not believe that all Republicans are wacked out Christians, nor do I believe that all Democrats are intelligent and open minded.
I am not a politician. I do not go about accusing people of the opposing side of not being American enough.
We have enough problems going on without turning things into witch hunts. Accusations like Bachmann's only divide us, not bring us together. Remember, the main point in this whole sordid business is that we are all together in this. To push for a further separation between political ideals is incitement. And it has no place in turning this difficult business into something
better and healthier.

So please, Michelle, stop and think about what you are doing. You are not building bridges, you are trying to create a bigger divide. We all need to stand together and this is not the way to bring that about. It only makes you look like a nut job, not a distinguished politician.

Being an American does not mean you are more religious, wear a bigger lapel pin, or have some direct line to God. It means working together through the easy times, and standing tall during the hard times. This is the time that we all need to remember what and who we are.

No comments: