Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Conservative values

I read in the paper that a woman, talking about being a republican, said that she wanted our
country to return to "conservative values". I don't know what this means. Is she talking about religion? If so, the only conservative values religions I can think of are the Puritans and the Taliban. I do not think these are healthy examples of "conservative values".
Is she talking about fiscal responsibility? Hmmm I think the Republicans in the current administration have blown that one. We are further in debt now than we were when we had a "liberal" president. And yes, fiscal conservatism is important in our lives. We can't keep spending our "personal" income on material things that don't matter. But, wasn't it President Bush who told us after 9/11 to go out and spend spend spend? They even gave us some money to do that last year. I can just see the clerks at Walmart ringing up the purchases.
Is this woman talking about abortion and same sex marriage? Well, I think I have given my thoughts on abortion so I wont go there again. But same sex marriage. This is the same old issue. Some years ago, it was illegal to marry someone of a different race. Stupid and racist, the point was moot and went by the wayside. Now, the same battle is being fought against same sex marriage. Who's business is it? It is between the two people it involves. McCain talks about government staying out of peoples lives but this seems to be to be inserting yourselves to a very high degree.
Conservative values. This is just another term for forcing your religious beliefs on other people.
That is the problem I have with religion. Thinking you are the only one with a direct line to God and that what you believe should be forced down other peoples throats for their own good.
Bah!

No comments: