Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Birthdays

People at work bring birthday treats in when it is their own personal birthday. Tomorrow is mine,
but since I am not on the official list, I could slink by. But, I have enjoyed others birthdays so
I think I will make cupcakes.
Yes, tomorrow is my birthday, and I am now at the point that it could come and go without anyone being the wiser and I would be just as content as if a huge party had been thrown.

I know what I want. Two weeks from now there is a quilt retreat about 200 miles north of here.
I have gone many times in the past, but the last couple of times, well, it just didn't appeal to me.
You pack all of your things in your van (normally I bring two other people), drive north stopping at every quilt shop in the state on that route (my patience runs out within 10 minutes at each store and I have to wait for two very smart but dizzy women who have to look at everything).
So, in times past, I have gritted my teeth, sat in the van and waited them out.
It just got to be too much when the last time they wandered for over an hour on a Sunday early evening, and I was starting a new job the next day. I just figured I needed to give it a rest.

But, since I have not been at the last couple, I am getting phone calls left and right begging me to come. We saved you a spot, you can come on Fri vs Thursday, you only have to pay X numbers of dollars, (cheaper than regular fees), you can bunk with us. And now I am feeling a tad guilty as if my presence were somehow necessary for the good of the all.

However, I do need to get away. I need to be creative. I need to be able to take a nap if I want and to wear my pjs until 2 p.m. if I want. It is fun. Great people, lots of snacks, wonderful quilts, and beautiful fabrics.

Maybe I will ask for that weekend for my birthday. What do you think?

10 comments:

Reamus said...

I think it a fine idea, but suggest you avoid the two "lookers" that went the last time. You might enjoy he trip more!

troutay said...

haha! you are funny!
But what will I do with the quilt I make?
I have too many things as it is.

Reamus said...

First, going through the Panhandle at night, a very dark night sounds good to me!
Second, I do not recall that town in New mexico although that doesn't mean I didn't pass through it.

Last, I'll buy the quilt for my camper!Sounds just the thing for cold nights in Oklahoma!

troutay said...

yay!!!

what colors?

Sempringham said...

Happy birthday! Reamus has the right idea. Plan the trip so you'll enjoy it.

troutay said...

Reamus:
If you look at Sempringham's map, it looks like maybe the panhandle area might be the place to be right now.
But perhaps those places with 0-5%
unemployment didnt have employment to begin with as they are rather "no man's land" areas.

Thanks to you both for the lovely B day greetings1

Reamus said...

Hard to have unemployment where there are no people to be unemployed...the ones there however would need a reason to stay there from what I saw, so maybe that's it.

Do have a great Birthday and the quilt has to have blue and white in it to match the interior the van...love red too. Anything else you want to put there is fine with me!

Kat Mortensen said...

Hey, Happy Belated Birthday! I know what you mean - I don't like anyone to make a fuss about mine. I like quiet celebrations and that's it.

Sounds like a good time on the quilt retreat. I would love to know how to do that!

Thanks for visiting Poetikat's Blasts From the Past. Please check out my poetry blog too when you get the chance.

I'm adding you to my band of Superheroes as well.

Kat

troutay said...

Thanks poetikat.

I will check that out!

Jeannelle said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday. March 4th is my daughter's birthday as well.

Yes, definitely, do the quilt weekend trip.