Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life in the time of depression

Two winter storms are on their way. I can deal with the snow and the cold, its the economical storm I worry about.

Cuts in pay across the board where I work. Thankfully I don't make that much money so my cut is small..
Some will have 10% or more in wage cuts.
People are worried. You see it in faces at the grocery store, gas station, bank, and at home.
My son's wages at the U of M have been cut. He may have to move back home. At least I know he will be able to eat.
My daughter's job hasn't called her to work in two weeks. She works part time as a waitress and there just isn't enough business to pay even part time wages.
I worry about my husband's job. I keep thinking of ways that I can help but I think the boss, who is pretty business savvy,has cut back just about every way he can.

Good people I work with, good people Phil works with, this economy is hitting home with a vengeance.

I have been trying to eke out dinners, making them last a tad longer by adding something. I have been baking from scratch and may start using my bread maker again.
I only hope that what ever I can offer will be of benefit to my husband, who is my world. I do not want him stressed more than he is.

I think I will start looking for a cobbler, etc to have on hand. In times past when my shoes got shoddy, I just bought a new pair. Now, I polish them and try to protect them as much as possible because they have to last longer than normal. I also have to start going to the library more often. I am sure Barnes and Noble love it when they see me as I am an avid reader, but for now, its back to the library.

I am sure we will make it through this. We are pretty tough and I grew up with next to nothing, my parent's depression frugality a fact of life. Hopefully those values will stand me in good stead in the days ahead. Perhaps we can come up with some creative ways to make ends meet.

It's a grey day. I have to remember to "keep my sunny side up". Sometimes a laugh or smile can make a difference and so I will try to do that as much as possible.

I wish you all better days ahead.

6 comments:

Jeannelle said...

Good, timely thoughts. I was just at the general store near us....the owner voiced a worry about an increased possibility of desperate people attempting robberies now that times are getting tough. That's a big worry for him as an operator of a business that is open to the public, something I don't think about very often.

troutay said...

Jeannelle:

I guess faced with the fact that their families may be hungry, I couldn't blame them for wanting to feed them any way they could.

Not that I am about to go out and rob a grocery store. "Desperate times call for desperate measures", no?

Thanks for the post.

Sempringham said...

Troutay,

Nobody has a crystal ball to see when this will end, or how bad it will get before it turns around, but I have no doubt that we'll (you'll!) pull through it.

Keep that sunny side up.

Reamus said...

Troutay...

It will hurt. But the hurt will be uneven and in some cases unfair. It is what streses us. It is not our/your fault, but there will be those who will feel it a lot and some who will feel it not at all. Someone who relies on wages and the mood of the consumer to buy and the banks to let the boss keep the place open will feel it the worst.
Your lessons from parents of the depression are good ones...we had forgotten too many of them I am afraid...we will get through it, but that doesn't mean we won't hurt.
Keep your chin up, I sense that help is on the way.

JessMoe said...

I think everything will work itself out- I'm definitely scared shitless- I don't have a summer job since I quit target and I don't know if the firm I'm interning at will hire me- plus I have to pay for law school- but I consistently get the star- hope without a reason- so I am forcing myself to believe that the wind will take us where it will. At least we are with the people we love--It would be better to drown with them than prosper without I think. ;)

troutay said...

Ah Jessica
You are a darling. I wish you were my daughter too.
you know we are here, no matter what.
If we have to live in a box under the freeway, I will share my space.