Saturday, November 8, 2008

New beginnings

It is my youngest child's birthday today. Happy 21st Sam!
I am excited because he has reached another milestone in his life. His birth, being totally potty
trained, his reach to 6'5' & 1/2, his meeting and moving in with his darling girlfriend, these are
all pretty big steps. Maybe they don't have as much significance to him, but they do with me.

A friend of mine that met my children when Sam was three said "he can't grow up, he is only supposed to be three years old!" And sometimes I feel that way too. But he is truly an adult now, with all the responsibilities and the fun of being 21. I am so proud of him.

Sometimes when he is not watching and unaware, I still see my "pootie" at three. The baby he was is still there if you look close enough.

We had a little tiff last night. He tends to be blunt and to the point (which is not wrong), and I sometimes am too sensitive. But he hugged me and it was almost like hugging his father. I could hear his heart beat slow and steady and I hope that his girlfriend finds the safety there that I have found in his father's arms.

These two men in my life make my life. As does my daughter.

Sam
Congratulations! I think you are wonderful and have become a man that any mother would be proud of. And your mother is so damned proud of you. Not just today, but everyday.

1 comment:

Franny said...

Barb. This is lovely. I can see Sam as a little boy. We would call him "Sam Guy". Remember that? He is so grown up now...and it seems like it was only yesterday when he was small. Nobody can call him small now! He is such a great guy. LOLove, Franny