Sunday, January 4, 2009

Baby its cold outside

Snow snow and more of the stuff. I have been home for almost 4 days, hardly leaving the shelter of the house for more than an hour or two. I am beginning to get cabin fever, but know that I will be going back to work tomorrow.

I wonder when our view of winter changes in our lives. As kids, we loved the stuff, staying out until all our fingers and toes were numb. We built igloos by heaping snow, and then alternating water and snow to build up the mass. I, being claustrophobic, didn't like actually getting in the things once we hollowed them out, but it was fun to build them.

Living on a lake most of my childhood and teens, we would clear off the ice and make a skating rink. We only had these old hockey skates, but we had a blast. Once again the only way we would come in was to be so numb we could hardly walk.

My brother used to trap muskrat in those days. One time he brought them in and left them on the basement woodpile to thaw. I used to hide down there, trying to find quiet and peace from a family of 8 children and two adults. Imagine my surprise when one of the muskrats thawed out and ran all over the wood pile. It was weeks before I could go back down there without listening for the scritch scratch noises.

I also went to a one room country school for the first 5 years of grade school. We used to walk quite a distance, rain or shine, warm or freezing, to get there. The cold never seemed to bother us, the way it does now.

So, I stay in the house as much as possible. If it wasn't for the fact that I HAVE to go out, I would stay put until spring, pasty white and rather like a gollum (sp?) sneaking about.

Here's to spring. May she come very soon.

7 comments:

Bob Miller said...

My gosh! Every paragraph there sounds like it could lead to a bigger story.

I fell on the ice last week and ached for two days. I didn't ache when I was eight. So that's one thing.

And when we were young, snow was an opportunity for Chip and me to earn some money. We shoveled walks for $1.25 -- $2.00 if it was a foot deep. That was about 45 minutes work per house. Now I worry about somebody slipping on the ice on my sidewalk. So that's another thing.

And I hit a pothole and got a flat last Saturday. Never worried about that when I was eight.

But I still love going outside when it's snowing and listening to the quiet.

Good post!

Reamus said...

I think I would just wait for the chance to drink to spring...

shutterhand said...

Yep. A tad chilly this morning here on the tundra. Its times like this that make me glad I have a Toyota :)
Actually I am surprised that so many mechanical devices work in this kind of cold. I do remember shoveling walks with my big brother back in Jersey. Funny how kids today seem to have no interest in actually doing something like that for a little extra money. I would gladly pay.

nonizamboni said...

bunmaal
Thanks for the visit! Loved reading your take on winter--from one pasty gal to another. Enjoyed reading about your 1st born's bd--I'll be back to read more. Keep warm!

nonizamboni said...

oops--forget the bunmaal--just me typing the word verification in the wrong place with one hand!

Gail said...

I use to walk to mail box bare footed in the snow and it never bothered me. Dad had a strange traditon. The first snow he would set us out in our bare feet and we would have to run around the house before we came in. Something about that was supposed to keep your feet warm all winter.
Thanks for stopping by.

troutay said...

Reamus:

I don't need the hope of spring to drink. I can drink anytime!

Thanks all, for visiting! I do so love all the comments.

And, I love all your blogs!