Sunday, June 16, 2013

It is Sunday,  the Friday of my week.   It has been a bit slow this morning.  Only a few parties going out.  We still have permits for today but so far, they are not here. 
 It is beautiful outside!  It is so hard to be inside when the sky is so blue and there is a slight warm breeze.  I could be out on the water front but the office is bright and cheerful. 

I have been learning about the different birds and rocks.  As you I  am an awful rock hound and find all sorts of interesting formations, colors, and textures to haul back to the cabin.  I have taken over the window sill above the sink.  I have a jar for the smaller specimens and line up the larger on the sill.

Some of my free time in the office is studying these things....I know so little about the area but am learning.  We have books that discuss every subject you can imagine so that we can help people coming in with questions.  Yesterday I learned about Lob trees.  These are pines that were marked by voyageurs to mark paths and portages. It seems some of them are still in existence which means the trees must have been very young, and have grown to incredible heights.  And the age of them!  Wow!  Several hundred years old.  Now, I have not seen them myself, but have seen pictures.  You can find the info on line if you like.  Just plug in "Lob trees" and look on Wikipedia for the info.  There are several pictures online that shows what they look/ed like.

 The only sounds here are an occasional bird trilling, the overhead fan whirring, and my computer humming.  It is sort of like white noise and if I don’t keep myself busy, it makes me sleepy!  I try to get to bed at a decent time, but I wake up at 4:30/5:00 a.m.  So about this time, I need a second wind to get me to lunch time and beyond.

I have two new roommates at the cabin.  Tessa and Inga, the naturalists.  They start this week with summer programs for the visitors at the various resorts and campsites.  I figured I would tag along and see what I can learn. They have programs on stars, rocks, plants, etc.  It should be very interesting.

Anyway, time to get back to work!  Lunch soon and out into the sun.

No comments: