Saturday, May 25, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

We have been quite busy up here at the Ranger Station, issuing permits, giving little quizzes, showing the info movie.  In most cases it is fun to go throught the information with people but I have noticed that the trouble makers are mostly men in their 40's and 50's.  Sometimes they meet questions with smart ass answers or they insert rude comments in to the conversation.  I have no idea why it seems to be this age group.  I also don't know if they would treat guys like this.  Normally I can joke along with people, but these guys are just jerks and have to make some sort of "point".

The weather is beautiful!  It is a tad cool, but the weather Thursday to today, Saturday is
nice with blue skies.  I hope it stays this way for all the campers and canoers out there.  There may be some gloomier days ahead with a 30% chance of rain on Monday.  But that is only 30%!

My deer have not been around of late.  Although they did sneak into the yard and eat a plant/flower near the side door.  I usually sit on the steps there and drink my coffee in the morning.  Sort of gives me an idea of what the temps/weather is going to be.

Paulette is stuffing "Smokey" bags.  We give them out to the little kids.  The bags have all sorts of things in them, comics, puzzles, pencil sharpeners, fake tattoos.  The older kids get wrist bands, frisbees, etc.  It is fun to give them; the kids get so excited.

I will be going  to pick up Phil on Sunday and then we will be spending a couple of days at the cabin in Aitkin.  Brother John is coming and we are going fishing.  Hopefully we will still find them in our special fishing hole.

I do like this job.  It is normally pretty easy, and I get to live here where the birds sing symphonies every morning.  They start tuning up about 4:30 a.m. and then the concert begins.  I have seen several evening grosbeaks, lots of little birds like chicadees and sparrows, and the gull (huge herring gull) still will fly over to see if I have left something on the picnic bench near the cabin.  The other animals are just two legged sorts training to be firefighters.  So far they have not been a problem, are so young that I seem like their great grandmother, and generally pretty busy.

A customer has left us donuts.  I think I need to eat some.  Free food is always welcome up here.

Take care all and Happy Memorial Day!

No comments: